Thursday, May 13, 2010

The romantic drama, Casablanca (1942), was a major shift from the stunning action adventure that was King Kong. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy Casablanca nearly as much as the Kong films due to the fact that it was much more difficult to understand and had a much slower pace in my opinion. However, I was impressed by the plot revolving around the crisis of the time, World War II. Also, I felt the director, Michael Curtiz, did a fine job of developing the intense love triangle between Rick, Victor and Ilsa. I believe that this film would've had a much greater appreciation back when it first came out when World War II was a current event rather than history as it displays a powerful view of some of the hardships endured because of Nazi Germany. Though I did not particularly enjoy this film, I was able to appreciate the quality of film making of the time and the legacy the movie created.

1 comment:

  1. Phil i dont believe you didnt like this movie, afterall you're a beelding heart romatic. I thought this movie did an excelent job of creating an emotional love story without any emotions in the lead actors. However i do agree that, should casablanca have had a giant gorilla vs. duel t-rex fight, i would have liked it more.

    ReplyDelete